East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation (EBALDC) is seeking a regular full time Project Manager in the Real Estate Development department at EBALDC main office in Oakland, CA.
The Project Manager is responsible for originating, scheduling, financing, coordinating, and implementing all aspects of EBALDC’s Healthy Neighborhood real estate development projects, including affordable, mixed-income, and mixed-use housing developments and commercial developments. Projects may include new construction, rehabilitation of existing buildings, acquisitions of market-rate multifamily buildings, or real estate consulting to nonprofits, including for office space development.
The Project Manager has broad responsibility for shaping the design, financing, program and strategy for these projects throughout the feasibility, acquisition, predevelopment, construction, and turnover-to-operations phases. Depending on experience and ability, the Project Manager may take the lead role on up to three active projects at any one time.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research, prepare, manage and monitor project budgets, cash flow projections, and schedules to ensure projects are completed on time and within budget
- Research, develop, and secure funding sources to support development including (but not limited to): Low Income Housing Tax Credits, Historic Tax Credits, New Market Tax Credits, tax exempt bonds, State and Local loans, conventional loans, and grants. Coordinate application materials for all funding requests, negotiate and secure financing agreements, and lead closings. This position in particular will be focused on supporting and eventually leading a high profile construction loan closing on a flagship EBALDC project
- Assemble and manage development teams including architects, engineers, contractors, attorneys, lenders/investors, and other professionals. Oversee and supervise development team members and maintain cordial relationships to ensure adherence to project budget and schedule. Lead (with oversight from RED Associate Director or Director) in negotiation and management of joint venture or partnership agreements where applicable
- Coordinate and manage internal project team members, including EBALDC Property Management, Asset Management, Commercial Real Estate, Neighborhood Economic Development, and Healthy Neighborhoods staff to maintain continuous input throughout the course of the project and ensure organizational goals are met
- Coordinate external stakeholder involvement, including attending/facilitating community meetings, planning sessions, public hearings, and other events as required
- Oversee the preparation of materials required to secure all required governmental and utility approvals including entitlements and building permits
- Oversee the design of projects to meet organizational objectives, budget, and schedule
- Oversee construction to ensure completion of high-quality assets on time and within budget
- Oversee transition of property into operations, conversion to permanent financing, and close-out, including transfer of necessary information to departments responsible for operations
- Assist with development of commercial facilities and to provide technical assistance to partners.
- Work with Director of Real Estate Development to identify and evaluate feasibility of potential project sites and development opportunities. Negotiate the acquisition of new vacant or occupied properties and development opportunities as needed
- As needed, represent EBALDC at community meetings, local and statewide associations, city council, housing committees, planning and zoning committees, and other events on matters related to specific development projects or affordable housing generally
- Depending on experience, this position may supervise and support increasing the capacity of junior RED staff, as required by Director. Supervisorial tasks would include managing workload, tracking time, regular performance evaluations, working with supervisees to set and track goals and workplans, conflict resolution, and on-boarding of new RED staff and interns. This position will receive support and training on the supervising function
- Attend EBALDC organizational, departmental and board meetings as needed
- Attend training and industry conferences that are recommended by RED Director or Supervisor
- Other projects as assigned by RED Director or Supervisor
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- A minimum of three years of housing development experience. Demonstrated experience with affordable housing development finance is required including fluency with low income housing tax credits, State of California housing programs, federal housing programs (such as HOME, CDBG, Section 8), and local City or County financing
- Understanding and ability to manage construction and real estate budgets and timelines, including ability to originate development proformas and schedules
- Experience in managing design and construction, including ability to read and understand plans, specifications, and other design/construction documentation. Familiarity with fundamental construction concepts. Ability to manage teams of designers and builders
- Ability to understand, negotiate, execute, and manage contracts and financing agreements
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Careful attention to detail and well-organized
- Ability to adjust to changing situations and work under pressure
- Ability to balance competing priorities to meet development deadlines for multiple real estate development projects
- Creative conflict-resolution and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including SharePoint, and familiarity with Salesforce and Adobe
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Planning, Architecture or a related field. Master’s degree preferred
- Valid U.S. Driver’s license
- This job requires simple grasping and fine manipulation, sitting at a desk and using a computer for extended periods of time, moderate use of telephone, standing, walking, bending and reaching. Requires occasional lifting or moving of objects up to 25 pounds, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Benefits and Other Information:
EBALDC offers excellent benefit. EBALDC pays up to 100% of employee premiums and 60% of dependent premiums for Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD and Life, EAP, Retirement, Paid Time Off, CA Paid Sick Leave, Holidays and Wellness Days off for all eligible employees.
**All candidates will be subject to a background check**
Please NO PHONE CALLS!
EBALDC is an EOE/AA Employer