Raimi + Associates (R+A) is a multidisciplinary planning, policy, urban design, and research firm with offices in Berkeley, Los Angeles, and Riverside, CA. We focus on creating healthy, equitable, and sustainable communities through land use planning, urban design, and community engagement.
The firm prepares a variety of long-range plans, including General Plan, Specific Plans and master plans, healthy community plans, and climate action plans. For more information about the company, please visit, www.raimiassociates.com.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
Raimi + Associates is seeking a talented and motivated GIS Specialist to support our planning, urban design, and climate action planning projects. The candidate will work on a wide variety of projects and will serve as the “go to” staff member for all GIS and mapping-related tasks. The position offers the opportunity to take on a range of responsibilities, including GIS and data analysis, cartography, data dashboards, online mapping, and interactive community engagement. The ideal candidate should be an independent self-starter with deep GIS and cartography expertise who enjoys a casual and fun work environment. The position will require the ability to multi-task and remain organized and focused within the fast-paced demands of consulting.
- Serve as the primary staff member for all GIS and mapping-related tasks.
- Become the staff expert on UrbanFootprint, a new scenario modeling and mapping software (urbanfootprint.com).
- Collect, create, modify, and/or maintain geospatial datasets. Streamline data gathering and collection across multiple large planning projects.
- Conduct geospatial analysis using ESRI ArcGIS Desktop/ArcGIS Pro and UrbanFootprint with both vector and raster data, including buffers, overlays, merges, viewsheds, spatial joins and relates, and raster math.
- Create complex, report-quality maps quickly and efficiently using ArcGIS Desktop/Pro, UrbanFootprint, and Adobe Illustrator. Maintain consistent cartographic standards across all projects.
- Develop web maps/apps, including ArcGIS Online and story maps.
- Assist with producing planning documents and reports, such as existing conditions reports, creating and analyzing land use alternatives, and preparing final plans.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
(We Understand That Not Every Candidate Will Have Every Potential Skill)
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Geography, Environmental Science, or related field with an emphasis in GIS (or GIS certificate); Master’s degree a plus.
- Minimum three years of experience using ArcGIS, UrbanFootprint, or related GIS software in a professional setting, OR a combination of training and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to obtain, collect, and analyze data using software applications (e.g., Excel, Access, ESRI ArcGIS).
- General understanding of basic statistics (e.g., summary, distributions, frequency).
- Knowledge of data sets related to demographic and socio-economic characteristics, land use, health, climate change, and sustainability.
- Demonstrated knowledge of cartography and computer mapping including design principles and understanding map creation procedures in ArcGIS.
- Ability to produce high-quality maps for documents and presentations.
- Ability to document technical analysis for reports and to write metadata.
- Experience preparing demographic projections, such as growth projections is desired by not required.
- Experience working on long-range plans including comprehensive plans, general plans, and community plans is desired by not required.
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite for graphic design, document layout, and diagram and infographic development.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Fluent in spoken and/or written Spanish is desired by not required.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Generous benefits package includes a competitive salary; fully paid medical, dental, and vision; vacation and sick days; retirement account and company-sponsored contributions; and time and resources for professional development.
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit a cover letter, resume, and relevant work products (10 pages max) as soon as possible to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “GIS Technician” in the email. The position will remain open until filled. People of color and candidates with diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Raimi + Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diversified workforce. Selection is based on merit without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, marital or family status, or other differences.