About these positions
We are looking for experienced Intermediate and Senior planners who can lead and grow our housing practice area, with a focus on helping communities provide safe, healthy, and affordable housing in great places to live and work. We seek colleagues who over time will develop housing best practices and influence broader housing policy.
These positions will prepare Housing Elements as part of focused or comprehensive general plan updates, consolidated plans, and housing-related updates to codes and development regulations. Candidates will be expected to take initiative, work independently, be excellent communicators and collaborators, and represent the firm professionally.
Roles and responsibilities will vary by experience level but will include:
- Analyzing housing needs, conditions, constraints, and trends
- Conducting housing site inventories and fair housing assessments
- Writing, research, and policy development for planning documents
- Developing and assisting with public engagement activities, including workshops, focus groups, and committees
- Working closely with local government staff, HCD, HUD, and CAHA
- Business development, including writing proposals and advanced marketing
- Master’s degree in planning, public policy, urban design, or other housing-related fields
- Intermediate Planner: Minimum of 3 years of relevant housing work experience. A portion of the experience must be work completed in California.
- Senior Planner: Minimum of 8+ years of relevant work experience, including managing a variety of housing-related projects. A significant portion of the experience must be work completed in California.
Salary and Benefits
Generous benefits package includes a competitive salary; fully paid medical, dental, and vision; vacation and sick days; retirement account with company-sponsored contributions; and time and resources for professional development.
People of color and candidates with diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. The position is open in either our Berkeley or Los Angeles office. If you are interested in joining our team, please submit a cover letter, resume, and relevant work products (10 pages max and/or hyperlinks) to email@example.com. Please reference “Senior Housing Planner” or “Intermediate Housing Planner” in the subject line.