The City of Redwood City invites you to apply for the position of Senior Planner. This position is the first leadership classification in the Planner series. It is an excellent opportunity for an individual with substantial experience in Planning, who would like to take on more challenging and complex projects. In addition to project management, the incumbent will also be involved in supervising and/or training others, coordinating with other City departments, overseeing the permit process and interacting with the public on planning-related matters.
Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluate and analyze of large, complex development projects.
- Coordinate of consultants and staff work on special planning studies.
- Provide technical staff assistance in planning and development matters.
- Facilitate applications for planning permits and environmental review through the Zoning Administrator, Planning Commission, and City Council.
- Supervise the preparation of environmental review documents.
- Prepare amendments to the General Plan and Zoning Ordinance.
- Provide information to the public, and prepares a variety of planning reports and documents.
Will embrace the City’s emphasis on excellent customer service; will be able to manage multiple and conflicting demands on time and attention, will see the big picture while remaining detail-oriented; will demonstrate analytical ability and ability to synthesize and summarize information; will use initiative, independent judgment and time management skills; will be well versed in the implementation and analysis pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA); will be a team player who likes working with a variety of City staff and the public; and has a sense of humor.
Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) 2%@60 for current “classic” members, 2%@62 for new members
Opportunity to select from a variety of health plans that are administered by PERS; Maximum City contribution is $1,705/month Dental & vision insurance Employee Assistance Program
Vacation leave: l0-25 days per year
Sick leave of 12 days per year
Fourteen paid holidays per year
Fitness center access at City facilities
Commuter program available (6 minute walk from Caltrain)
Apply online at