Are you looking to join a team that is making a difference in the future of San Jose? We are looking for a skilled events and promotions professional who wants to help us shape the center city of Silicon Valley. The San Jose Downtown Association is a non-profit organization that has worked closely with private and public sector partners since 1986 to improve downtown San Jose. Please look at our website sjdowntown.com before applying, to better understand our mission, programs and services. Details on the position are below:
POSITION TITLE: Street Life Manager, San Jose Downtown Association
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Property-Based Improvement District (PBID) is a special assessment district that conveys certain benefits to the properties located within its boundaries. Established in August 2007 and managed by the San Jose Downtown Association, the Property-Based Improvement District (PBID) provides a way to fund downtown cleaning and beautification projects. The PBID commissioned the Downtown Street Life Plan (DSLP) to create a vision and road map for place-making and public realm improvements based on stakeholder input and long- term needs assessment.
The Street Life Manager is a full-time, exempt position responsible for managing the implementation of DSLP and beautification projects within the PBID. Scope of the role includes implementation of public art and capital projects, advocacy, stewardship of the urban tree canopy, community engagement, and mentoring/supporting other downtown members to enhance the public realm, vibrancy, and street life of the downtown San Jose, America’s tenth largest city. The position will often be the point-person to guide projects and initiatives through their full life cycle. This position reports to the Director of Policy and Operations.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
• Prioritize, coordinate and implement targeted the Downtown Street Life Plan (DSLP) and beautification projects
within the PBID, as well as lead/assist with street life related policy and advocacy efforts.
• Identify and develop community partners interested in DSLP and beautification project collaboration and
• Coordinate with various City of San Jose departments in implementing DSLP and beautification projects.
• Negotiate, plan and implement vendor contracts for DSLP and beautification projects.
• Develop, manage and monitor DSLP and beautification budgets. Primary liaison to City of San Jose personnel and
private property owners on DSLP projects.
• Assist in other PBID projects and activities as needed.
• BA/BS degree and a minimum of five years professional experience in project management, community
development, landscape architecture, urban planning, or environmental design.
• Ideal candidate will have a background or strong interest in placemaking, public art, policy, design, community
engagement, urban management, or economic development.
• Knowledge or principles and practices of community design and development are desirables. Specific knowledge
and past experience with City of San Jose a plus.
• Strong interpersonal communications skills required, as well as the ability to be flexible and work independently.
• Computer proficient and strong graphic communication skills with emphasis on Adobe Creative Suite and
SALARY: Salary range is $80,000-95,000 and is commensurate with experience; competitive benefit package.
DEADLINE: Friday, May 31, 2019 by 5 p.m.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume to
San Jose Downtown Association, Human Resources
28 N. First St., #1000 San Jose, CA 95113