The City/County Association of Governments (C/CAG) is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Transportation Program Specialist to perform a variety of program administrative and technical support functions related to C/CAG transportation and land use programs.
C/CAG Transportation Program Specialist I/II
County of San Mateo
$6,148 – $9,020/Month
C/CAG operates as a Joint Powers Authority and has membership that includes each of the 20 cities and the County in San Mateo County. C/CAG works on issues that affect the quality of life in general: transportation, housing, air quality, storm water runoff, airport/land use compatibility planning, hazardous waste, climate planning, energy and water resource strategies, and solid waste and recycling. Visit us at www.ccag.ca.gov.
There are currently up to two vacancies that could be filled at the Transportation Program Specialist I or Transportation Program Specialist II levels.
Transportation Program Specialist I is the entry and trainee level class, which works under immediate supervision while learning job tasks. Incumbents may be assigned to a specific area or may work in multiple areas. As experience is gained incumbents work with greater independence and are given more responsible assignments. Work is typically reviewed in progress and upon completion for conformance with established procedures.
Transportation Program Specialist II is the fully experienced, journey level class, which works under general direction. This level is capable of independently performing the full range of duties in one or several specialized areas and is expected to serve as subject matter expert in assigned duty areas.
For both positions, variety and complexity of assignments, scope and complexity of transportation planning responsibility, independence of action and level of decision-making authority, level and variety of work contacts, degree of administrative responsibilities, and responsibility for program and policy implementation are expected to expand with experience.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist with the development and implementation of transportation plans, policies, programs, and projects, and the linkage of transportation, land use, and environmental goals.
- Coordinate with C/CAG partner agencies on reports, joint studies, and projects.
- Assist with preparing, updating, and administering planning documents, grants, funding recommendations, and projects.
- Act as liaison and participate on a variety of local and regional committees/task forces related to transportation, housing, and/or land use planning.
- Maintain contract agreements, review invoices, and track budgets for C/CAG projects.
- Track and analyze proposed policies from other government agencies and legislations related to transportation and housing.
- Coordinate the development of State and Federal transportation improvement plans and programs at a county level.
- Oversee request for proposal (RFP)/request for qualification (RFQ) processes.
- Monitor the regional transportation planning and delivery process for conformance with State and Federal requirements.
- Establish, maintain, purge, and run reports on various office files including minutes from public or private meetings and hearings.
- Draft documents such as C/CAG Board Resolutions, Board and committee staff reports, consultant contracts and agreements, and RFP/RFQs.
- Prepare, or coordinate with consultant to prepare staff recommendation on consistency determination to committees and C/CAG Board on referrals for airport/land use compatibility in accordance with C/CAG airport land use compatibility plan (ALUCP) policies.
- Staff various committee meetings including coordinating the distribution of agenda packets and preparation of meeting minutes.
- Set up meetings, coordinate attendee calendars, make reservations, and set up meeting rooms.
- Promote bicycle and pedestrian mobility and safety. Recommend policies and programs to promote and enhance active transportation.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, and participate in the development, administration, and evaluation of a countywide Safe Routes to School program.
- Maintains awareness of current federal, state, and local regulations as it pertains to transportation.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Two or more years of direct professional experience in transportation and/or land use planning.
- Self-starter who has demonstrated the ability to independently perform the full scope of required duties.
- Familiarity with making presentations and recommendations to governmental agency boards, commissions, and committees.
- Familiarity with public outreach and engagement processes or gathering input from the public.
Note: This is an unclassified, at-will position allocated to C/CAG. Unclassified positions are not covered by the County of San Mateo Civil Service Rules.
Benefits Information: Please visit http://hr.smcgov.org/sites/hr.smcgov.org/files/SEIU.pdf for a complete listing of all benefits for this classification. Benefits are offered to eligible employees of the County of San Mateo. All benefits are subject to change.
As an additional benefit, the County offers extensive training and development programs designed to improve skills and enhance career opportunities. Most programs are offered on County time at no cost to you. County employees are also covered by the federal Social Security system and earn benefits for retirement based on salary and time worked.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is a bachelor’s degree in Transportation Planning, City or Regional Planning, Civil Engineering, Economics, Public Finance, Economics, Business or Public Administration, or a closely related field. A Master’s degree is desirable.
Final Filing Date: November 10, 2021
To learn more about the position and to apply online, please visit our website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanmateo/jobs/3281857-0/c-cag-transportation-program-specialist-i-ii-unclassified-open. Applications are only accepted online. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire. EOE