Sargent Town Planning is an award-winning urban planning and design studio based in Downtown Los Angeles. We are creative problem solvers, focused on making human-scale, pedestrian-oriented, transit-ready urban places of sustainable long-term value. Our small core team – currently 7 full-time staff – collaborates regularly with creative firms and colleagues in allied disciplines around the State and country, attracting ambitious clients who hire us to resolve interesting and complex urban design and planning challenges for which there are no formulas and few precedents.
We believe that the success of all urban places begins with the design of the public realm, calibrated to its urban context and providing a valuable framework for high-quality private development, and have spent the past 10 years working with public and private-sector clients to prepare plans and codes that achieve predictable, desirable, and sustainable outcomes that integrate human-scale public space networks with new development of all types.
About the Job:
To meet these challenges and take on more work we are expanding our team. We are seeking an experienced and creative Senior Urban Planner and Project Manager with a clear understanding of the nexus between urban planning and design, a passion for place-making, and the ability to think and work at a wide range of urban scales and contexts. The ideal candidate will have 5-20 years of professional experience, much of it in California and in the private sector. We are a small studio, so you would be working constantly and directly with our principals, designers, and multi-disciplinary collaborators to:
• Analyze existing policy, regulatory, political and physical contexts, and collaborate with the consultant/client team to define design, policy, regulatory, and programmatic strategies and solutions to complex urban planning challenges;
• Organize those solutions, strategies and design concepts into visually compelling, clear and instructive plan documents and presentations to generate client and community understanding and support, and streamline implementation efforts;
• Help to manage ongoing projects and their interdisciplinary teams, typically including STP staff, subconsultants, private developers, municipal staff, public agencies, and often multiple stakeholders.
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits and profit-sharing. Total compensation will be commensurate with experience, demonstrated capability and performance. Benefits include company-paid medical, vision and long-term disability insurance, flexible scheduling to accommodate personal and family responsibilities, competitive paid vacation and sick leave, a transit/parking benefit program, employer-matched 401(k) plan, and an annual profit-sharing plan.
To excel in this position, you should have significant experience and capability in preparing plans (some or all of master plans, vision plans, specific plans, general plans), familiarity if not expertise with vision based (form-based) development standards and design guidelines, and have a deep understanding of the connection between urban design, planning and place-making. The ideal candidate will possess all or most of the following skills, qualifications, relevant experience and demonstrated capabilities:
• A bachelor’s and/or master’s degree in urban planning, urban design, architecture and/or landscape architecture;
• Experience in preparing and presenting visually rich plan documents and presentations;
• Strong writing and communication skills;
• Proficiency with (or ability to rapidly learn) a variety of design software necessary for daily workflows; definitely Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office; and Sketchup, AutoCAD, and/or GIS would be a plus;
• Strong project and team management capabilities;
• Experience preparing and/or working with form-based development codes and design guidelines;
• Experience preparing proposals and promotional presentations is also desirable.
Please email your resume, portfolio and cover letter, clearly stating your professional objectives and interest in our firm, to email@example.com. If you have additional skills, experience or qualifications beyond those listed above, please tell us about them.
We Value Equality:
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building a diverse team. Hiring is based on demonstrated ability without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, marital or family status, or other differences. For more information please visit our website at www.SargentTownPlanning.com.