The City of Lafayette (pop. 24,000) is looking for an experienced professional in urban planning who has a track record for providing high level analysis and excellent customer service. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate an interest in community development and a passion for working with residents to make the City vibrant, safe and attractive.
Salary range: $93,953 – $123,585
Application deadline: July 15, 2022
Link to apply: www.lovelafayette.org/jobs
Located just 20 minutes from downtown San Francisco via BART, Lafayette prides itself on its vibrant downtown, beautiful tree-studded hillsides and great schools. Residents expect personalized service and the ability to deliver customized solutions to the community’s unique planning guidelines. This position will be part of the team that ensures that Lafayette retains its semi-rural character and “small town” downtown feel.
This is a challenging job in a great city! The new Planner will be joining a staff of dedicated, energetic and fun professionals.
The Planner will perform the following major duties:
- Reviews routine to complex development proposals, applications, permits and plans for completeness and compliance and serves as project manager.
- Prepares and reviews environmental impact reports, written initial studies, negative declarations, and staff reports.
- Assists the public as well as advises architects, builders, attorneys, contractors, engineers on matters relating to land use, zoning, code interpretation, general plan compliance, signage, and other issues related to the City’s entitlement process.
- Prepares long-range planning studies and staffs limited-duration committees tasked with providing policy direction.
The Ideal Candidate
The City seeks a high energy professional who is self-motivated, creative, tactful and detail-oriented. Exceptional analytical and communication skills and the ability to write well and persuasively are required. Experience in environmental review is highly desired. The candidate should have a four-year degree with major coursework in urban planning, community development, business or public administration, or a related field. Candidates should have at least 6 years of professional experience in planning, zoning and related community development. All candidates must have the ability to work some evening hours to attend Council and Commission meetings. A Master’s degree is highly desirable.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for the position is $93,953 – $123,585 and Lafayette also provides an attractive benefits package that includes:
- A generous 401-A retirement plan with City-paid monthly contributions of up to 15% with a 5% match as well as City-paid social security contributions. Because the City does not participate in PERS, all vested retirement funds belong to the employee to manage as they see fit.
- City-subsidizes 95% of health and dental insurance OR keep health allowance (equal to 15% of salary) if you have alternate coverage.
- Start with 11.5 days of vacation + 2 additional weeks paid executive leave for a total of up to 3+ weeks of vacation in first year. Vacation increases with tenure up to a maximum of 7 weeks per year.
- Alternate work schedules (4/10 and 9/80) as well as partial remote work options available
Application & Selection
The final filing date is July 15, 2022. To be considered, you must submit a City of Lafayette Employment Application, plus relevant materials that amplify your qualifications. Please apply online at www.lovelafayette.org/jobs. Email TRobinson@lovelafayette.org for questions.
Following the filing date, resumes will be screened and candidates with the most relevant qualifications will be invited to interviews with an anticipated start date of early- to mid-August.