Toole Design Group in Oakland, CA is looking to hire an experienced and talented full-timeSenior Planner. Do you have a strong background in active transportation planning and design? Are you passionate about sustainability and the opportunity to work on innovative multimodal projects that make communities more livable? Would you enjoy working on a variety of projects throughout the Bay Area and Northern California? If so, please consider joining our Oakland team.
This Senior Planner position with a focus on active and multimodal transportation earns a competitive salary and great benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability, a health savings account (HSA), and a flexible spending account (FSA). We practice what we preach and ensure that our employees also have access to transportation by providing them with financial incentives to bike, walk, or use transit for a better quality of life.
Application deadline: July 30, 2022
Link to apply: www.tooledesign.com/careers/
About Toole Design
Toole Design is the leading engineering, planning, and landscape architecture firm specializing in multimodal transportation. Since our start in 2003 as a single office in Maryland, we have expanded throughout the United States and Canada. Our talented team of planners, landscape architects and engineers are committed to delivering quality work that meets the needs of all people, regardless of age, ability, race, or gender. We have been named a “best firm to work for” and have one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry.
Every project our employees deliver directly and positively affects our communities. We are industry-leading experts, and we work hard to encourage a collaborative and team-oriented environment.
A Day in the Life of a Senior Planner
As a Senior Planner, you will develop and nurture client relationships, mentor colleagues, and lead exciting projects throughout the region and state, while supporting efforts across our North American offices. You will lead teams of professionals from a variety of disciplines; integrating input from a broad range of stakeholders to create award-winning plans and programs that build momentum toward positive change in communities and lead directly to implementation.
Our projects are at all different scales: national, state, regional, and local. They encompass research, policy, planning, design guidance, program development, inclusive engagement, implementation, and evaluation. As a Senior Planner, you may work on multimodal corridor studies, Vision Zero, Safe Routes to Schools, new mobility and curbside management, trails and greenways, complete streets, and access to transit.
You will participate in business development pursuits in the Bay Area region as well as across our North American offices. You will get to work with a close-knit team that is passionate about the work and the communities that we serve. What unites all of our work is our mission: we never accept a project that does not align with our values. We think about equity, climate, safety, and health every step of the way.
Work Schedule for a Senior Planner
This full-time position typically works a flexible schedule of 40 hours a week. We also provide employees with the flexibility and necessary equipment to work from home up to 3 days per week. Our office is conveniently located in downtown Oakland, two blocks from the 12th Street BART Station. The office is easily accessed on foot, by bicycle, and via transit.
About our Oakland Team
We are an incredibly talented and creative, entrepreneurial, hard-working group. We have engineers, urban designers, landscape architects, and planners that bring the full range of services Toole Design offers, from innovative design and engineering, to best practices in urban planning, to cutting edge research and analysis. We are a tight-knit team that has fun together and supports each other through when the going gets tough. Our projects range from countywide plans to street transformations in dense urban communities. We have active projects in San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, San Jose, San Mateo, as well as Davis, Sacramento, Fresno, and many others.
Ready to Join our Oakland Team?
We understand your time is valuable, so we have a quick and easy application process. If you feel that you would be right for this Senior Planner position, please fill out our application on our website: www.tooledesign.com/careers/. Deadline to apply is July 30, 2022.
At Toole Design, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We have a collaborative culture where people of all backgrounds come together to share ideas and build better, more inclusive communities. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
We’re proud that about half of our managers are women and we are
committed to achieving racial diversity in our leadership as well. Toole Design is a woman-owned business and an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer).
Qualifications of a Senior Planner
· Extensive knowledge of multimodal transportation planning practices and techniques
· At least eight years of experience working on transportation projects, preferably in California
· A bachelor’s or master’s degree in planning or a related field or additional work experience
· Demonstrated success independently managing projects
· Outstanding written, verbal, and graphic communication skills
· The ability to deliver high-quality work on-time and on-budget
· Experience planning and conducting public outreach and engagement
· The motivation to win work, including forming and managing client relationships, identifying potential opportunities, and developing proposals and interview materials
· Fluency or a working knowledge of the Spanish language a plus
· A working knowledge of GIS software (ArcGIS or QGIS) and Adobe Creative Suites Cloud apps (Illustrator and InDesign) a plus
You’ll be great here if:
· You’re passionate about contributing to the Bay Area’s future as a more accessible, sustainable, and equitable region
· You understand equity and the role that systems of oppression have played in shaping access to public spaces, transportation resources, and opportunities.
· You have a strong working knowledge of Northern California’s geography, public agencies, and political landscape.
· You enjoy managing projects and meeting client needs
· You’ve led complex projects that involve coordinating collaborative work between staff teams, consultant partners, and public sector or nonprofit partners; and managing schedules and budgets
· You can build relationships, bring enthusiasm to exciting projects, and are detail-oriented with strong problem-solving skills
· You are experienced at delivering high quality projects on-time and on-budget
· You enjoy producing high-quality work products and contributing to projects that get built