East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation (EBALDC) is seeking a regular full-time, Senior Project Manager at the main office in Oakland, CA.
The Senior Project Manager is responsible for originating, scheduling, coordinating and implementing all aspects of EBALDC’s Healthy Neighborhood real estate developments including affordable housing, mixed-income, mixed use, and commercial developments and acquisitions. Projects may include new construction, rehabilitation of existing buildings, initial coordination with other EBALDC staff on cultivating and securing retail tenants and non-profit organizations that would be part of a housing development, or financing the acquisition of new projects or existing buildings. The Senior Project Manager has broad and lead responsibility for planning and advocating, shaping the design, financing and strategically thinking the programmatic aspects of these projects, and as required, supervising staff to assist in these endeavors. Generally, the Senior Project Manager works on/closely supervises at least three projects at any one time.
Highly qualified candidates may be considered for an Associate Director position, which would include more department-wide and organizational leadership responsibilities.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with Associate Director or Director of Real Estate Development to identify and evaluate potential project sites and properties, using continuous input throughout the course of project from Commercial Real Estate, Property Management, Asset Management, and Neighborhood Economic Development staff.
- Negotiate acquisition and finance agreements. If required, lead in negotiation and management of joint venture agreements and manage communication of terms to CEO, Executive Level staff, and RED Director
- As needed, lead or assist with commercial and public/private facility development or placemaking efforts and provide technical assistance (including use of New Markets Tax Credits) to other entities
- Assemble and manage development teams including engineers, general contractors, architects, lending institutions, and other professionals. Coordinate and oversee work of development team to ensure adherence to project budget and schedule, from acquisition phase through construction to post-construction marketing/lease-up
- Maintain cordial professional relationships between team members, including clear understanding of work required, clear timely explanations of changes in work required and approval of invoices for payment pursuant to agreements
- Research and secure funding sources to support feasibility, predevelopment, construction and permanent loan phases of development. Coordinate application materials for all funding requests. Prepare and monitor project budgets, cash flow projections and project schedules
- Oversee preparation of entitlement applications and all other required governmental and utility approvals
- As needed, represent EBALDC in planning and advocacy efforts to establish and maintain a long term commitment to the local neighborhoods where our buildings are located or that are prioritized for new locations
- Supervise and support increasing the capacity of Real Estate Development staff, as required by Director or Associate Director. Supervisorial tasks would include managing workload, tracking time, regular performance evaluations, working with supervisees to set and track goals and workplans, conflict resolution, and on-boarding of new RED staff and interns. This position will receive support and training on the supervising function
- Coordinate with Associate Director and Director to optimize the performance and project staffing responsibilities of the supervised staff
- Attend trainings, represent EBALDC at housing and community development industry conferences, local governing body and committee meetings, and other community meetings, advocate for neighborhood development issues in communities where we develop or affordable housing generally, as recommended by supervisor.
- Attend EBALDC organizational, departmental and board meetings, as needed
- Other projects as assigned by RED Director
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- A minimum of five (5) years of housing development. Experience with nonprofit affordable housing development is required, such as low income housing tax credits, State of California housing programs, federal housing programs such as HOME, CDBG, Section 8, and local redevelopment area financing. Experience with mixed-use developments and/or homeownership and/or commercial real estate is preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Careful attention to detail and well-organized
- Ability to adjust to changing situations and work under pressure
- Ability to balance competing priorities to meet development deadlines for multiple real estate development projects
- Creative conflict-resolution and problem-solving skills
- Understanding and ability to manage construction and real estate budgets, plans and schedules
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Teams applications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Planning, Architecture or a related field. Master’s degree preferred
- Valid U.S. Driver’s license
- This job requires simple grasping and fine manipulation, sitting at a desk and using a computer for extended periods of time, moderate use of telephone, standing, walking, bending and reaching. Requires occasional lifting or moving of objects up to 25 pounds, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Benefits and Other Information:
EBALDC offers excellent benefit. EBALDC pays up to 100% of employee premiums and 60% of dependent premiums for Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD and Life, EAP, Retirement, Paid Time Off, CA Paid Sick Leave, Holidays and Wellness Days off for all eligible employees.
**All candidates will be subject to a background check**
Please NO PHONE CALLS!
EBALDC is an EOE/AA Employer