Salary: $68,016 – $82,680
Application Deadline: 8/10/2018 5:00 p.m. PDT
Temporary Exempt (TEX), Full-Time. Appointee must participate and be successful in a Civil Service Examination process for this classification and be selected through an open competitive process in order to be considered for a permanent appointment.
The San Francisco Planning Department (CPC) currently has openings for two (2) 5277 Planner ITEX positions within the Current Planning Division (CP Division), to assist in addressing the on-going backlog in building permits and land use development applications.
Under general direction, the 5277 Planner I will perform a variety of planning duties with the purpose of reducing the backlog of various land use development applications and building permits requiring Planning’s review and approval. The duties include, but are not limited to, the review of routine applications for compliance with the City’s General Plan, Zoning Code, and the California Environmental Quality Act as well as the review of architectural plans for compliance with various design guidelines.
The 5277 Planner I positions in the CP Division will perform entry-level planning work, focusing on small residential and commercial projects, including Accessory Dwelling Unit and Dwelling Unit Legalization permits, Conditional Use Authorizations for small businesses (through the Community Business Priority Processing Program), wireless telecommunications applications, routine building permits, variance applications, and inter-agency zoning referrals.
The essential functions of this job include, but are not limited to:
- Reviewing ordinances, rules, regulations, policies and procedures and applying them to land use development applications;
- Reviewing land use development applications and architectural plans for conformity with the General Plan, Planning Code, and various design guidelines;
- Reviewing interagency zoning referrals for conformity with the Planning Code;
- Providing information orally and in writing to City agencies, property owners, developers, community organizations and the general public;
- Conducting site and field inspections of land, economic activities, transit patterns, and buildings and streets;
- Preparing computer-based graphic materials;
- Conducting research studies and formulating recommendations to assist in planning policies, plans for future developments and determining the environmental impacts of proposed projects;
- Preparing governmental documents such as public notices and staff reports;
- Presentations before public bodies, such as the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Nature of work: Incumbents in this job code may be required to attend evening meetings, occasionally held in community locations.
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in city, regional, or urban planning, or a closely related field such as architecture, landscape architecture, geography, urban studies, public administration, historical preservation, or environmental studies;
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; AND one (1) year of city or urban planning, transportation, urban design, historical preservation, architectural or environmental review experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only being accepted through an online process.
Click the Apply button to view the official, complete job announcement and to register an account for application submission requirements.