Permit Technician I & II | $4,450 – $5,937/Monthly*
Bring your passion for public service, commitment to providing customer service excellence, and understanding of building permit practices to the County of Sonoma. Join Permit Sonoma as a Permit Technician!
Starting salary up to $34.14/hour ($71,254/year), a cash allowance of $600/month, and a competitive total compensation package!*
If you are interested in applying at the I and/or II levels of this opportunity, you must apply to the separate recruitments being conducted for each level.
Permit Sonoma is seeking candidates with permitting experience and:
- Proven customer service skills, with the aptitude and patience for collaborating with a wide variety of clients, virtually and in-person
- A commitment to serving the public
- The ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships
- A high degree of attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- The ability to effectively manage competing priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
- A talent for working in a technology-driven environment
While working at the lobby counter, by phone, and via the website and email portals, Permit Sonoma’s Technicians respond to various questions regarding the department’s wide variety of functions and services. As a Permit Technician, you will learn how to properly utilize a broad base of code requirements and department policies in order to effectively intake and process an assortment of construction development applications. Additionally, you will:
- Assist the public with completing and filing application materials for various types of development permits
- Read and review construction plans for accuracy, as well as other documents related to building, planning, and well and septic applications
- Input application information into Permit Sonoma’s automated tracking system and calculate permit fees
- Research files and permit history for department staff and the public
- Use multiple computer programs and mapping resources to assist in permit issuance
Please Note: Employees in the Permit Technician I position may advance to the Permit Technician II after a training period of one year, completion of the ICBO/ICC Permit Technician Certificate, and two additionally approved industry courses related to the building industry. The Permit Technician II positions minimum qualifications require completion of the ICBO/ICC Permit Technician Certificate and two approved industry courses related to the building industry. If you do not possess these qualifications, we encourage you to apply to our Permit Technician I recruitment!
What We Offer
The County of Sonoma offers career growth and development, the opportunity to be a part of a challenging and rewarding work environment, and the satisfaction of knowing that you’re working to better the community. You can also look forward to a competitive total compensation package, including*:
- An annual Staff Development/Wellness Benefit allowance up to $500 and ongoing education/training opportunities
- Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays, and an additional 8 floating holiday hours per year
- Significant portion of health care premiums paid by the County and access to several health plan options
- County contribution to a Health Reimbursement Arrangement to help fund post-retirement employee health insurance/benefits
- Retirement fully integrated with Social Security
- May be eligible for up to 8 weeks (320 hours) of Paid Parental Leave after 12 months of County employment
- Eligibility for a salary increase after 1,040 hours (6 months when working full-time) for good work performance
- With time, good performance, and certification, the opportunity for advancement to Permit Technician II ($4,885 – $5, 937/month)
*Salary is negotiable and benefits described herein do not represent a contract and may be changed without notice. For more information, including minimum qualifications, & to apply, visit, www.yourpath2sonomacounty.org or call 707-565-2331. The County of Sonoma is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity and we are committed to having a workforce that is representative of the communities we serve.