The Town of Moraga is seeking an energetic and service-oriented Assistant Planner to join the Planning Department. The position offers a unique opportunity to work on a diverse array of assignments, including helping customers at the public information counter and reviewing building, administrative, and discretionary permits for compliance with complex regulations. This is an entry-level classification in the professional planning series. Initially, incumbents learn and perform a variety of techniques related to the interpretation, application and enforcement of the Town’s land use regulations, including Zoning Ordinances and the General Plan.
Positions at this level usually perform most of the duties required of the position at the Associate level, but are not expected to function at the same skill level and exercise less independent discretion and judgement in matters related to work procedures and methods.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, and best principles and practices, related to planning, zoning, housing, transportation planning, environmental planning, and/or code enforcement including but not limited to California Planning and Zoning Laws and California Environmental Quality
- Ability to read and interpret architectural, development, site, landscaping, and construction
- Knowledge of research methods employed in the collection, evaluation and presentation of data.
- Knowledge of and skill in applying principles and techniques of project
- Skill in collecting, analyzing, interpreting and understanding technical data and documents.
- Skill in planning, organizing and conducting
- Skill in applying urban, environmental, housing, zoning and transportation planning principles and methods to local
- Skill in performing effective
- Skill in communicating effectively in English both orally and in writing; making presentations; and preparing clear, concise and accurate written
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with
- Ability to perform varied and responsible assignments involving the use of initiative and judgment under minimum
- Ability to provide lead direction and coordinate the work of other
- Ability to effectively utilize computer applications and technology related to the
- Ability to provide excellent customer
Education and Experience
Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. Generally, this will require:
- Experience: One (1) year of professional planning experience.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in planning, urban design, environmental studies, or landscape A Master’s degree may be substituted for experience.
License or Certificate
A valid California Driver’s License and a satisfactory driving record are conditions of initial and continued employment.
To Apply: Visit the CalOpps Website: https://www.calopps.org/moraga/job-19923019
Please Note Important Dates:
Application Closing Date: October 18, 2019
First Review of Applications: October 22, 2019
Candidate Panel Interview: October 30, 2019
Staff Interview: November 7, 2019