Are you fascinated by the built environment? Are you passionate about sustainability and the opportunity to work on challenging multimodal projects that make communities more livable? Do you love figuring out new and creative ways to communicate design concepts to everyone, ages 8 to 80? If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join our team as a Senior Urban Designer/Landscape Architect in our Oakland, CA office.
Why join Toole Design?
At Toole Design Group, we’re working to create vibrant, multimodal transportation solutions for people of all ages and abilities. Our staff of 190+ landscape architects, planners and engineers are passionate about making a difference in communities large and small. The pace is fast, our team is creative and dynamic, and you will collaborate across disciplines with colleagues on transformative projects across the country. In an industry that is constantly changing, you’ll be at the forefront of planning and designing real solutions.
As a Senior Landscape Architect/Urban Designer you’ll be in a leadership position, mentoring others and leading exciting and challenging projects in California and the western U.S. You will help integrate transportation projects into the fabric of the community and make the travel experience better for all users. You’ll be at the table with our clients, planners, and engineers on projects from start to finish; working on project pursuits, stakeholder outreach and design charrettes, master planning, concept plans, demonstration projects, 3D modeling, and illustrative graphics.
Toole Design is committed to building a diverse and welcoming team. We have a collaborative culture where people of all backgrounds come together to share ideas and build better, more inclusive communities. We are an equal opportunity, woman-owned business. We are proud of the fact that over 50% of our managers are women or minorities. No matter what your background is – we encourage you to apply for this position.
You’ll be great here if:
• You are passionate about urban design and active transportation
• You enjoy building strong relationships across disciplines, across offices, and with our clients.
• You understand the importance of design of the built environment
• Developing communication graphics such as plans, perspectives, boards, and maps are second nature to you
• You enjoy leading multidisciplinary teams to do great work for clients
• You know how to get the message across, whether written, verbal, or graphically
• You deliver high-quality work on time and on budget
• You are motivated to find and work on new opportunities to improve communities through transportation.
We’ll offer you:
• The opportunity to change how we discuss, design, and develop the largest part of our public realm, our transportation network, in communities across the country
• The potential to grow as an urban designer and advance in a company that prefers to promote from within and offers exceptional opportunities for professional development through internal and external trainings, mentorship, and professional associations
• Competitive salary and industry-best benefits
• The ability to work with our exceptional Oakland team, and thought leaders from across the country
• A workplace that practices what it preaches, with engaged colleagues and financial incentives to bike, walk, and use transit on your commute
What you’ll need:
• A bachelors or master’s degree in urban design, landscape architecture, urban planning, or engineering
• At least 8 years of hands-on urban design and/or landscape architecture experience, preferably in California and on the West Coast; consulting experience preferred
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in project programming, master planning, site design, and transportation planning and design
• Proficiency in graphic production including use of hand graphics and the Adobe Creative Suite
• The ability to communicate effectively with clients, colleagues, and partners through any medium or situation
• The ability to facilitate training for other employees, clients, agency staff, and professional organizations
• Demonstrated success managing complex transportation projects, working with staff teams, consultants and subconsultants, and managing schedules and budgets
• Proficiency in AutoCAD or Microstation
About our Oakland office:
Toole Design Group’s Oakland office is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Oakland, less than a block from the 19th St BART station. Our office environment is fun to work in, with a strong emphasis on staff collaboration and professional development. Our Oakland team is a dynamic mix of transportation planners and engineers, and our projects range from countywide plans to street transformations throughout California.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be considered as a potential candidate for this position, please click “Apply for this Job” below or visit our careers page http://www.tooledesign.com/company/careers and select the corresponding position. Toole Design Group, LLC is an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer) and encourages women and minorities to apply. No phone calls, please. For more information about Toole Design Group, visit our website (www.tooledesign.com), follow us on Twitter (@tooledesign), or like us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/TooleDesignGroup).