Are you fascinated by the built environment and motivated to make it better? Are you passionate about giving people safe, comfortable, and accessible options for getting where they need to go? Do you want to work on challenging projects that make communities more livable and equitable? If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join our team as a Project Planner in Toole Design’s Oakland office.
Why join Toole Design?
At Toole Design, we’re working to create vibrant, multimodal transportation solutions for people of all ages and abilities. Our staff of 200+ planning, engineering, and design professionals are passionate about making a difference in communities large and small. The pace is fast, our team is creative and dynamic, and you will collaborate with planners, engineers, and urban designers on transformative projects in California and across North America. We work on active transportation plans, multimodal corridor studies, Vision Zero, Safe Routes to School, trails and greenways, Complete Streets, and urban street design guidelines, and we challenge ourselves and our clients to proactively think about equity every step of the way. In an industry that is constantly changing, you’ll be at the forefront of planning real solutions.
As a PROJECT PLANNER, you will manage tasks and projects, work directly with our clients, represent Toole Design in project and stakeholder meetings, pursue and win work, and reinforce our reputation as trusted experts. You’ll work with other planners, landscape architects, urban designers, and engineers to deliver a variety of exciting project types focused on making places and travel experiences better for everyone. You’ll be at the table with clients and colleagues from a variety of disciplines, integrating input from a broad range of stakeholders to create award-winning plans that lead directly to implementation.
Toole Design is a committed to building a diverse and welcoming team. We have a collaborative culture where people of all backgrounds come together to share ideas and build better, more inclusive communities. We are an equal opportunity, woman-owned business. We’re proud that about half of our managers are female, and are committed to achieving racial diversity in our leadership as well. No matter what your background is – we encourage you to apply for this position.
You’ll be great here if:
• You are excited about transforming transportation networks and creating healthy and resilient environments for communities
• You enjoy collaborating across disciplines and offices to do great work for clients
• You take initiative, and deliver high-quality work on time and on-budget
• You are detail-oriented and have strong organizational skills
• You know how to get the message across, whether it’s written, verbal, or graphic
• You’re motivated to find potential clients and work with multi-disciplinary teams to solve new challenges
• You thrive on engaging our clients and their communities in the public engagement process
We’ll offer you:
• The opportunity to work on projects that create more connected, equitable transportation systems that serve all people
• Opportunities to learn our leading-edge methods for assessing, planning, and developing transportation policies, programs and networks for communities across California and the rest of North America
• Competitive salary and industry-best benefits
• A workplace that practices what it preaches, with engaged colleagues and financial incentives to bike, walk, and use transit on your commute
• Exceptional opportunities for professional development through internal training and with professional associations
About our Oakland office
Toole Design Group’s Oakland office is located in the heart of downtown Oakland, less than a block from the 19th St BART station. Our office environment is fun to work in, with a strong emphasis on staff collaboration and professional development. Our Oakland team is a dynamic mix of transportation planners, engineers, and urban designers, and our projects range from countywide plans to street transformations in the Bay Area and throughout California.
What you’ll need:
• At least 5 years of active transportation, planning, landscape architecture, urban design, or other related experience
• A bachelor’s or master’s degree in a related field or additional work experience in lieu of secondary education
• Strong writing skills and experience working as a support and/or lead writer for planning documents
• Experience conducting public outreach and engagement
• Comfort and successful track record working independently on completing and/or managing tasks
• Experience working with multidisciplinary teams and multi-phased projects
• The motivation to win work for a growing office including forming and managing client relationships, identifying potential opportunities, and developing proposals and interview materials
It would be nice if you have:
• Fluency in Spanish is highly desired
• Experience in the various stages of marketing, including business development, proposal strategy and writing, and interviewing
• A working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), GIS software (ArcGIS or QGIS), and Adobe Creative Suites Cloud apps (Illustrator and InDesign)
How to Apply:
If you would like to be considered as a potential candidate for this position, please click “Apply for this Job” below or visit our careers page www.tooledesign.com/company/careers and select the corresponding position. Toole Design Group, LLC is an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer) and encourages women and people of every background, including people of color, LGBTQ+, and minorities to apply. No phone calls, please. For more information about Toole Design Group, visit our website, follow us on Twitter (@tooledesign), or like us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/TooleDesignGroup).