Are you passionate about active transportation? Are you interested in how people and families choose to travel to and from their daily destinations? Do you want to create places and transportation networks that benefit all users? If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join our team as a Planner in our Oakland, CA office.
Why join Toole Design?
At Toole Design, we’re working to create vibrant, multimodal transportation solutions for people of all ages and abilities. Our mission is to make walking and biking possible for every trip. Our staff of 180+ planning, engineering, and design professionals are passionate about making a difference in communities large and small. The pace is fast, our team is creative and dynamic, and you will collaborate with planners, engineers, and urban designers on transformative projects in California and across the country.
As a Planner, you will contribute to projects, lead analysis, work directly with our clients, represent Toole Design in project and stakeholder meetings, and reinforce our reputation as trusted experts. You’ll work with other planners, landscape architects, urban designers, and engineers to deliver a variety of exciting project types focused on making places and travel experiences better for everyone, including local, regional, and state-wide active transportation plans, Vision Zero plans, corridor studies, wayfinding plans, and Safe Routes to School programs and plans.
Toole Design is a committed to building a diverse and welcoming team. We have a collaborative culture where people of all backgrounds come together to share ideas and build better, more inclusive communities. We are an equal opportunity, woman-owned business. We are proud of the fact that over 50% of our managers are women or people of color. No matter what your background is – we encourage you to apply for this position.
You’ll be great here if:
- You are excited about transforming transportation networks and creating healthy and resilient environments for communities
- You enjoy collaborating across disciplines and offices to do great work for clients
- You deliver high-quality work on time and on-budget
- You know how to get the message across, whether it’s written, verbal, or graphic
- You’re motivated to find potential clients and solve new challenges
- You thrive on engaging our clients and their communities in the public outreach process
We’ll offer you:
- The opportunity to learn how we discuss, plan, and develop multimodal transportation policies, programs, and networks for communities within California and across the country
- Competitive salary and industry-best benefits
- A workplace that lives its values, with engaged colleagues and financial incentives to bike, walk, and use transit on your commute
- Exceptional opportunities for professional development through internal training and with professional associations
What you’ll need:
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in urban planning, landscape architecture, urban design, engineering, or a related field
- 0-5 years of planning experience at a consulting firm, public entity, non-profit, or higher learning institution
- Strong writing skills and experience working as a support and/or lead writer for planning documents
- Experience conducting public outreach and engagement
- Experience working with multidisciplinary teams and multi-phased projects
- Experience independently managing tasks or projects
- Proficiency using Excel for data and demographic analysis
It would be a plus if you have:
- Fluency in Spanish
- Experience with ArcGIS and/or QGIS
- Experience with bicycle and pedestrian projects
- Experience with urban design or landscape architecture projects
- Experience in graphic production in Adobe Creative Suite, including data visualization, mapping, and document layout
- Experience in the various stages of marketing, including business development, proposal strategy and writing, and interviewing
About our Oakland office:
Toole Design’s Oakland office is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Oakland, less than a block from the 19th St BART station. Our office environment is fun to work in, with a strong emphasis on staff collaboration and professional development. Our Oakland team is a dynamic mix of transportation planners and engineers, and our projects range from countywide plans to street transformations throughout California.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be considered as a potential candidate for this position, please click “Apply for this Job” below or visit our careers page http://www.tooledesign.com/company/careers and select the corresponding position. Toole Design Group, LLC is an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer) and encourages women and minorities to apply. No phone calls, please. For more information about Toole Design Group, visit our website (www.tooledesign.com), follow us on Twitter (@tooledesign), or like us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/TooleDesignGroup).