Are you an environmental enthusiast? Is conservation your cup of (sustainably sourced) tea? If so, you’ll fit in just fine at WRA, Inc.
We are on a quest to create a sustainable future where people and the environment thrive. For more than 35 years, WRA has provided outstanding ecological and design expertise to develop successful solutions for our clients. We employ experts in the fields of botany, engineering, wildlife, wetland ecology, GIS, CEQA/NEPA, and landscape architecture – all in the service of our mission: to create value for our community by working together to provide environmental solutions.
We are actively searching for an experienced Senior Environmental Planner to become the next great member of our team. This individual will join us on a full-time basis in one of our San Francisco Bay Area offices (Emeryville preferred, but San Rafael may also be considered).
As Senior Environmental Planner, you will oversee tasks independently and work closely with project managers to lead projects, liaise with clients, manage budgets and guide the design, training, and process-improvement of this highly-critical function of our company. You will love this position if you have strong CEQA and NEPA documentation expertise, experience preparing park, recreation & open space plans, and are also looking for deeper meaning in your work and the opportunity to make an impact on your community – and the world at large.
You will be successful if you enjoy the interpersonal side of this work as much as the technical, motivating others to succeed, and leading cross-functionally toward a common goal.
- Direct professional and technical staff to complete complex environmental projects
- Guide technical work products/technical aspects of permitting
- Complete field work limited to challenging technical roles, work driven by client needs, kick-off meetings, overseeing junior staff, or field visits involving agency personnel
- Provide leadership for project managers, in consultation with department heads, in a fashion that supports the company’s culture, mission, and values
- Develop regional recognition for technical knowledge through publication of scientific papers, development of new technical tools or methods, presentation at technical conferences, participation in scientific panels or boards, teaching classes, etc.
- Advise clients and project managers on key technical issues; be available to consult as an expert technical witness
- Develop innovative paths to revenue such as grant funded research projects, agency-driven technical projects, and/or regional, state or national resource management related programs
- Provide day-to-day leadership of all aspects of company technical work products to ensure consistency and accuracy
- Develop and maintain company technical work product templates
- Track and provide updates to relevant WRA staff and managers regarding changing administrative/regulatory policies, field methods/procedures and literature findings related to areas of technical expertise
- Encourage and lead cross-departmental collaboration to strengthen internal communications with staff throughout the organization
- Develop QA/QC standards for technical work products; provide oversight and leadership for field efforts
- Continually refresh your understanding of current planning law and practice
What You Bring to the Team:
- BS degree or higher in land use, natural resources or environmental planning. Master’s degree in environmental planning or science is highly desired
- 8-10 years of experience, track record of increasing responsibility and successful project management. Experience in the environmental consulting industry is highly preferred
- Experience successfully supervising and mentoring junior staff
Why You’ll Love WRA:
Get paid for what you love. Competitive salary, numerous bonus opportunities, and a generous 401k matching program
Share in our success. Profit-sharing and employee-ownership opportunities
Extensive benefits including 100% company-paid medical, dental, and vision premiums, commuter program that rewards you with vacation time and monthly cell phone reimbursement program
Diversity, equity and inclusion are top cultural priorities. We are committed to building a team that is reflective of the diverse communities we serve, and are actively seeking candidates from a multitude of backgrounds.
Easy commute. Most offices have free parking or are accessible via public transit
A place to grow. Strong internal technical training program and professional mentorship model
Love where you work. Positive, progressive work environment, flexibility to work remote, ergonomic sit/stand desks and fun internal social events
Make a difference. Opportunity to work on diverse array of projects at a mission-driven organization
WRA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.