About YAH!: YAH! (Yes to Affordable Housing!) is a startup nonprofit in its second year that’s trying to change the way we talk about housing in the Bay Area. YAH! was founded on the belief that justice, equity, and affordability should be at the core of conversations about housing, and that a positive future for the Bay Area based in affordable, just housing is possible. We advocate for more equitable and affordable housing by bringing people together to learn, build relationships, and take action for housing justice and progressive land use policy. We are particularly focused on educating and activating younger and more recent residents around housing issues and the need for affordable housing – including folks who are new to housing and even new to justice!
Our work is values-driven and focused on narrative and relationships. We talk about real, impactful issues, but also like to have fun. We focus on three core areas: education, community building, and housing messaging. Our 2018 work plan includes creating and sharing a Housing 101 presentation and other educational materials, coordinating a Bay Area-wide anti-gentrification summit, and hosting monthly education and outreach events (happy hours, panels, film screenings, etc.) to build an engaged community. More information can be found at www.yahbayarea.org.
Position Summary: We are looking for a Program Manager/Organizer to coordinate YAH! and carry out our work plan. As YAH!’s primary staff member, we are looking for someone who is comfortable wearing many hats, is excited to build and grow our young organization, and is invested in a long-term strategy for change. The ideal candidate will be equal parts organized project manager, authentic relationship builder, and empathetic educator comfortable meeting people where they are at to cultivate an understanding of housing justice. We are looking for a self-starter who can work independently, but also values collaboration, as they will be working under the direction of and in close partnership with YAH!’s small, passionate Steering Committee.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Work closely with the Steering Committee to develop and execute YAH!’s work plan and strategy, including educational outreach, advocacy efforts, and new programs
- Cultivate YAH!’s community of engaged housing advocates and supporters, including building new connections, fostering learning, increasing engagement, and developing a membership model, including engaging and managing volunteers
- Manage and grow YAH!’s organizational infrastructure and operations, including administrative tasks, budgeting, and coordinating Steering Committee meetings
- Serve as a spokesperson for YAH! activities, programs, and policy positions, including public presentations and media relations
- Build new partnerships and relationships with allied organizations, companies, and political causes
- Coordinate YAH! events, including logistics, scheduling, and promotion
- Grow and manage YAH!’s online presence (including website, blog, and social media)
- Generate content to support YAH!’s mission and goals, including blog posts, graphics, educational materials, and more
- Collaborate with Steering Committee on fundraising efforts, including seeking and writing grants
What We’re Looking For:
- Passion for racial and economic equity, affordable housing, and fighting displacement and gentrification (see YAH!’s principles)
- Knowledge of Bay Area housing issues, policies, and politics
- At least two years experience with community organizing and/or advocacy (though a strong educational background could be substituted for work experience)
- Proven track record of successful project management
- Love for relationship building and bringing people together, and an ability to connect with a variety of people with different levels (and awareness) of power and privilege
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ideally, experience with event planning and managing volunteers
- Comfort with a flexible and dynamic work schedule, including some evenings and weekends
- Comfort in a startup environment, and willingness to manage tasks both big and small
- Self-motivated, independent, and excited to provide momentum to this organization
Compensation & Benefits: This is a full-time position based in the San Francisco Bay Area with a salary of $50,000-$57,000 and full benefits (medical, dental, and life insurance), as well as:
- The opportunity to have a huge impact and add your vision to a growing organization
- Non-hierarchical and collaborative group that values ideas and communication
- Getting to work with a group of young, passionate, fun housing advocates to inspire others!
How to Apply: We are looking to hire quickly, so applications will be considered on a rolling basis with an initial deadline of July 8, though the application will remain open until we find the right fit. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Program Manager/Organizer Application.”
YAH! is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, or disabilities. Women, immigrants, LGBTQ-identified people, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply, as are longtime Bay Area residents. Diverse viewpoints are vital to our organization mission and culture. Please let us know if you need any special accommodations for the interview process.