Grand Lake / Lakeshore
See where Oaklanders come together
Located on the northeast end of Lake Merritt north of Interstate 580, the Grand Lake district includes the commercial streets of Grand, Lake Park, and Lakeshore Avenues. These streets are home to many cafes and restaurants and small shops. Lakeshore Avenue has more chain stores interspersed with small businesses. This neighborhood really comes alive on Saturdays with the weekly farmers market at Splash Pad Park, located along Lake Park Avenue. Craftsman homes and some condominium and apartment buildings are nestled behind these two main streets.
How to get to Grand Lake / Lakeshore:
- By bus: Take the AC Transit 12 route northbound on Broadway directly to the neighborhood.
- On foot: Alternatively, this route can be a leisurely 2 mile walk along Broadway and Grand Avenue.
- By bus: Broadway can also be traveled using the free Broadway “B” Shuttle.
- On foot: For a more scenic route, walk toward Lake Merritt along 14th Street and follow the Necklace of Lights around the lake along Oak Street, Lakeside Drive, and Grand Avenue.
Saturday farmers market
Grand Lake Theatre
Arizmendi Bakery pizza special
Guide and Photos by Jackie Yang
- population of 7,045
- 59% white / 13% Asian / 13% African American / 9% Hispanic / 6% multiracial and other
- median age of 39.3
- 14,702 persons per square mile (Source: niche.com, Lakeshore)
- 64% renters
- Source: US Census 2010, tracts 4038 and 4039
- Shop the multiple stalls at the weekly farmers market on Saturdays between 9am and 2pm for fresh fruits, vegetables, plants, flowers, and handmade goods. Visit the food stalls covering a wide variety of cuisines. Rest in Splash Pad Park and listen to music.
- Have brunch / lunch at Lakeshore Café or Rolling Dunes.
- Stop at Arizmendi Bakery for the daily pizza special and other baked goods.
- Shop at Urban Indigo for unique gifts and original Oakland souvenirs and Greetings for Oaklandish T shirts.
- Have dinner at one of the many restaurants on Grand Avenue. Options include American, Italian, Greek, Thai, Japanese, and Chinese cuisine.
- Enjoy a movie at the Grand Lake Theatre complete with an organ introduction.
Site developed by Devin Dombrowski - Devin Dombrowski Designs