Thank you for signing up for the 2022 Mentorship Program. First meetings between matches scheduled for February and March.
About the Program
This career development initiative involves one-on-one mentorship matching between planners in various stages of their careers (“Mentorees”) and experienced professionals (“Mentors”). The program aims to improve the professional practice of planning by benefiting individual practitioners at all experience levels.
Changes to the Program
- Mentors can answer the questionnaire once instead of on an annual basis. If you participated in the 2021 Mentorship Program and would like to participate again you do not need to fill out this form. You will receive a separate email invitation and can reply YES and your previous information will be used for matching.
- Registered mentors can then opt-in or out and can make changes to their profile without re-entering all questionnaire fields.
- Geographic location will not be a major factor in matches, therefore opening up the matching pool.
- Recruitment of Mentors + Mentorees: November 2021
- Matching & Emails Sent: By January 2022
- 1st Mentor-Mentoree Meeting: January – March 2022
- 2nd Mentor-Mentoree Meeting: March – May 2022
- 3rd Mentor-Mentoree Meeting: May – July 2022
- Additional Meetings: anytime throughout the year (optional)
- Closing of Program and Feedback Survey: August 2022
If you have any questions, please contact Ellen Yau, Mentorship Director at email@example.com.
This opportunity is available to all planning students and professionals. Our goal is to provide adequate structure to facilitate meaningful relationships, while maximizing flexibility to meet the professional interests and schedules of participants. Each Mentor and Mentoree pair is welcome to customize the program to meet individual needs.
- Participants engage in one-on-one Mentor and Mentoree matching, which involves a minimum commitment of three meetings from January 1, 2022 to July 31, 2022.
- Handouts and e-mail templates will be emailed to participants to facilitate introductions, initiate talking points, and share professional development resources.
- Professionals with at least 3 years of work experience in any planning discipline.
- Each Mentor will be assigned one Mentoree. If additional Mentors are needed, participants will be individually asked if willing to advise more than one.
- Minimum commitment of 3 meetings with Mentoree between Janurary 2022 and July 2022.
- APA membership is not required.
- Students and young professionals with less than 3 years of work experience in any planning discipline or mid-career professionals with less than 10-years of experience.
- Minimum commitment of 3 meetings with Mentor between Janurary 2022 and July 2022.
- Applicants are not guaranteed to receive a Mentor, but we are actively recruiting a large group of participants. Priority matching will be given to second-year graduate students, recent graduates, and mid-career professionals.
- APA membership is required (free for qualified students and discounted rates for qualified new members). You can register to be a Mentoree today, but are required to become a member once matched. Please visit the Membership page for additional information.
Materials & Handouts
Meeting #1 Guidelines
We’re glad you are involved with the Northern Section’s mentorship program, but as you navigate the Planning World know that resources stretch from your local chapter to the national level. Check out National APA’s resources here.
The level of engagement for each of the three Mentor-Mentoree meetings can be as simple or involved as time and interest permit. For each meeting, activities may include:
- Joint attendance at a public meeting
- Résumé and portfolio critique
- Mock interview