We Want You! (To Join Our Board)
We Want You! (To Join Our Board)
Do you want to be more involved with APA? Do you want to serve your fellow Northern Section members? If you are ready to build your professional skills, consider joining your Northern Section board in one of our vacant positions!
Benefits of joining the Board:
- Meaningfully give back to the planning profession;
- Have an impact on the strategic direction of the Section;
- Collaborate with your peers;
- Mentor future generations of planners or become a mentee of experienced Board Members;
- Build up and celebrate leaders in the industry;
- Build your skill set and enrich your resume;
- Grow your network of local planning professionals; and
- Have fun and make new friends!
We are looking to fill the following vacancies:
- San Jose State University Student Representative
- Social Media Coordinator
- Technology Manager (Coming Soon)
Current Board Vacancies
California Planning Foundation (CPF) Liaison
The duties of the California Planning Foundation (CPF) Liaison shall be to:
- Coordinate with CPF and attend the monthly meetings;
- Coordinate with Board Members to promote CPF Scholarships at Section meetings/events and through Section communication channels;
- Fundraise for CPF Scholarships for Section planners; and
- Coordinate with the Events Program Manager and/or serve on the Section Holiday Party Committee as the primary fundraising opportunity for CPF.
San Jose State University Student Representative
The duties of the San Jose State University Student Representative shall be to:
- Collaborate with the University Liaison and advise the Section Board concerning student affairs;
- Serve as liaison with colleges/universities with planning programs and their students;
- Encourage student membership in the APA;
- Improve student/professional interaction at Section programs by:
- promoting Section events, activities, and trainings;
- encouraging participation in the mentorship program; and
- working with the CPF Liaison to promote CPF scholarships;
- Serve as liaison between the Chapter Student Representative, students, and the Board; and
- Assist in the recruitment process for future Student Representatives.
Social Media Coordinator
The duties of theSocial Media Coordinator shall be to:
- Regularly disseminate Section news, events, and announcements across the Section’s official social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn);
- Coordinate with the Communications Director, Editor(s), and other Board Members, as appropriate, to strategize on communications strategies;
- Build brand awareness by creating and editing written, video, and photo content;
- Engage with users and respond to social media messages, inquiries, and comments;
- Set social media goals, review analytics, and report on key performance metrics;
- Develop creative campaigns to garner user engagement or event promotion; and
- Stay up-to-date with changes in social platforms and advise the Communications Director of emerging trends and issues.
Technology Manager (Coming Soon)
The duties of the Technology Manager shall be to:
- Manage the Section’s Google Workspace instance; manage users, groups, and Shared Drives;
- Develop tools and procedures for managing Section passwords for shared technical resource;
- Update the Section’s website on a regular basis, including keeping a current calendar of events and relevant Section and Section Board information;
- Keep all social and professional networking websites up to date with member information, upcoming events, and other announcements;
- Coordinate with the Editor(s) in publishing the newsletter in digital format;
- Coordinate with the Marketing and Sponsorship Manager in displaying calling cards and job recruitment advertisements onto the website;
- Assist with other Section Board technology needs, as assigned;
- Coordinate with the Chapter website manager, as needed;
- Coordinate with the Administrative Director in providing Section Board meeting minutes in a downloadable format; and
- Work with any independent contractors to maintain and design the website.
How to apply
For appointed positions, you must be an APA member with current/paid-up membership, and reside or practice planning within the Northern Section (Alameda, Contra Costa, Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Monterey, Napa, San Benito, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, and Sonoma counties). If you wish to be considered, please submit your resume and letter of interest outlining why you’d like to be considered, any relevant experiences, and what you’ll bring to the position. Please email the requested documents to Section Director-Elect Libby Tyler, FAICP at email@example.com.