We Want You! (To Join Our Board)
We Want You! (To Join Our Board)
Do you want to be more involved with APA? Do you want to serve your fellow Northern Section members? If you are ready to build your professional skills, consider joining your Northern Section board in one of our vacant positions!
Benefits of joining the Board:
- Meaningfully give back to the planning profession;
- Have an impact on the strategic direction of the Section;
- Collaborate with your peers;
- Mentor future generations of planners or become a mentee of experienced Board Members;
- Build up and celebrate leaders in the industry;
- Build your skill set and enrich your resume;
- Grow your network of local planning professionals; and
- Have fun and make new friends!
We are looking to fill the following vacancies:
- Distance Education Coordinator
- Events Program Manager
- Marketing and Sponsorship Manager
- Mid-Career Planners Group Director
- Social Media Coordinator
- Young and Emerging Planners Group Co-Director
Current Board Vacancies
Distance Education Coordinator
The duties of the Distance Education Coordinator shall be to:
- Plan, coordinate, and host workshops, lectures, and training sessions along with Northern Section and other Chapter/Section event coordinators;
- Develop goals and objectives for the Section distance learning program;
- Develop distance education courses, or online version of in-person courses, as needed;
- Work with Communications Director to promote distance education courses to appropriate audience and identify target “market;” and
- Identify, evaluate, and launch various distance learning delivery methods (e.g. different platforms, rather than just Zoom; or different teaching styles that are more effective than others).
Events Program Manager
The duties of the Events Program Manager shall be to:
- Facilitate Section signature events, such as the Annual Holiday Party;
- Serve on the Awards Gala Subcommittee and assist the Awards Program Director on the planning and implementation of the Awards Gala;
- Serve as a liaison between event coordinators, the Executive Board, and the Section Board;
- Evaluate Section event programming and events to ensure a broad range of regions and topics are covered; and
- Serve as a resource for event hosts by maintaining a resources toolkit, including event proposals, best practices, and standard operating procedures.
Marketing and Sponsorship Manager
The duties of the Marketing and Sponsorship Manager shall be to:
- Work with the Communications Director with input from the Executive Board to implement a plan to raise funding and increase Section awareness, through but not limited to sponsorships, fundraising, and advertisements;
- Manage a list of existing and prospect sponsors and track their donation status;
- Develop, with input from other officers, and maintain a sponsorship package, including advertising and collateral materials, to be used in soliciting sponsorships, fundraising, and advertisements;
- Proactively solicit paid advertisements and fundraising from businesses and individuals who provide planning-related services, to fund all Section programs and activities, such as Section events and the newsletter;
- Serve as primary point-of-contact on communications and support between the Section Board and sponsors; and
- Coordinate with the Treasurer for routine billing and collections for sponsorships and advertisements.
Mid-Career Planners Group Director
The duties of the Mid-Career Planners Group Director shall be to:
- Organize and provide a forum for professionals with 10-25 years of experience working in a planning or planning-related field to cultivate professional growth through career building programs, social events, and mentoring opportunities;
- Work closely with other Section Board Members, such as the Professional Development Director, Events Program Manager, and RACs, to publicize and organize events; and
- Work with the Communications Director, Social Media Coordinator, and Technology Manager to keep current on new ways to communicate with mid-career planners.
Social Media Coordinator
The duties of theSocial Media Coordinator shall be to:
- Regularly disseminate Section news, events, and announcements across the Section’s official social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn);
- Coordinate with the Communications Director, Editor(s), and other Board Members, as appropriate, to strategize on communications strategies;
- Build brand awareness by creating and editing written, video, and photo content;
- Engage with users and respond to social media messages, inquiries, and comments;
- Set social media goals, review analytics, and report on key performance metrics;
- Develop creative campaigns to garner user engagement or event promotion; and
- Stay up-to-date with changes in social platforms and advise the Communications Director of emerging trends and issues.
The Treasurer shall have a working knowledge of accounting procedures, including posting debits and credits into accounting software, balancing accounts and reconciling statements, and other financial practices as specified by Chapter Financial Policies. The duties of the Treasurer shall be to:
- Prepare an annual budget for submittal to the Section Director;
- Receive and be held accountable for all Section accounts and funds and to make proper authorized disbursement of said funds, including those received through an electronic transfer website;
- Collect or to designate a person responsible to collect money at events that requires a fee;
- Work with any bookkeeper or other finance professional hired to assist with prescribed financial duties, such as taxes and annual reporting requirements;
- Submit financial reports to the Section Board; and
- Submit quarterly financial reports, including an end of the year financial report to the Chapter.
Young and Emerging Planners Group Co-Director
The duties of the Young and Emerging Planners Group Director shall be to:
- Organize and provide a forum for students and other young professionals within the initial 10 years of working in a planning or planning-related field to cultivate professional growth through career building programs, social events, and mentoring opportunities;
- Work closely with other Section Board Members, including the Events Program Manager, University Liaison, Student Representatives, and RACs, to publicize and organize events; and
- Work with the Communications Director, Social Media Coordinator, and Technology Manager to keep current on new ways to communicate with young and emerging planners.
How to apply
For appointed positions, you must be an APA member with current/paid-up membership, and reside or practice planning within the Northern Section (Alameda, Contra Costa, Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Monterey, Napa, San Benito, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, and Sonoma counties). If you wish to be considered, please submit your resume and letter of interest outlining why you’d like to be considered, any relevant experiences, and what you’ll bring to the position. Please email the requested documents to Section Director-Elect Libby Tyler, FAICP at email@example.com.