The Northern Section of the California APA sponsors a series of sessions to help candidates pass the national comprehensive certification exam in November and May. Each session covers a different subject area of this diverse exam and features a guest speaker to address that area as well as having recent test passers relate their test study experiences.
- Location | UC Berkeley Wurster Hall
- Time | 10AM to 4 PM with an hour lunch for group study
- Dates| September 24, October 8 and 29November 12
- Application Deadline | Fall application deadline has passed but we recommend preparing now for 2017
- Cost | $100
- Discounts | If you are unemployed, a full time planning student, or a UCB employee the fee is waived. The fee is reduced 50% for Northern Section California APA board members. The section and California Chapter also have generous scholarships to defray application and exam fees. If your employers will subsidize your fee and participation we will provide you with a receipt.
- Includes | Exam prep series, all necessary study materials. (No need to purchase any national, State, chapter, or the commercially prepared materials)
- Note | Once you join you never have to pay again and will receive updated material until you pass. The fee shows you are serious about studying and helps defray some of the expenses. Our pass rate over the 30 years we have been doing these workshops has been overall 97 %.
For more information call Don Bradley at 650-592-0915 or email Dr. Don Bradley
To register and receive materials early send a check to: 2995 Woodside Road, Suite 400
Woodside, CA 94062.
If you prefer to search online web resources, the National AICP Professional Practice Center is a reference tool that demonstrates the professionalism of planning and how AICP certification can add value to the practice of professional planning. Visit the National APA website for in-depth information.
Certification as a planner
To become a certified planner and use the AICP designation, you must be a current member of the American Planning Association, submit an online application, meet specified education and experience requirements, and pass an examination. For information, contact Dr. Don Bradley, AICP, the AICP Director for APA California Northern.
The National APA website has additional detail about what you need to prepare for the examination.
Continuing professional development (Certificate Maintenance)
A minimum of 32 hours of Certificate Maintenance (CM) credit, obtained over a two-year period (or less) is the principal requirement for maintaining AICP certification. Professional development is defined as any course work that covers technical, and personal, growth and development activities that are related to the practice of planning. For assistance, contact Christina Ratcliffe at firstname.lastname@example.org or Tania Sheyner at email@example.com.
Looking for those elusive few credits before the deadline? Look no further! Follow this link to a lengthy list of CM-approved events dating back to 2007. You may have credits you didn’t even know you had! If you are still looking after reviewing this list, go to the AICP website to check out more CM activities. Pick up some free podcasts and log those credits!
If you have any questions or are having any difficulties logging your credits, please contact Tania Sheyner at firstname.lastname@example.org or Christina Ratcliffe at email@example.com.
Courses already certified for credit
The National APA/AICP office has the sole authority to review and approve credit activities. For a list of all courses that have been certified for credit got the National APA website. For events throughout California, type “California” in the search box. For Northern California events, type Northern Section” in the search box. For upcoming local events for credit visit our Upcoming Events page.
Proposing activities for CM credit
The APA California Northern is aggressively fostering local, low cost events for credit. If you are interested in proposing courses, events, training, travel, a speaker series, or some other activity for Certificate Maintenance credit, please contact Christina Ratcliffe at firstname.lastname@example.org or Tania Sheyner at email@example.com.
Site developed by Devin Dombrowski - Devin Dombrowski Designs