City of Vallejo
This recruitment is being conducted to fill one full-time vacancy the result of a promotion. The list established by this recruitment may be used to fill future full-time, part-time, limited term, and temporary vacancies for up to one year.
Why It’s a Great Opportunity: The Planning and Development Services Department has an excellent reputation for being an employer that is committed to providing a collegial atmosphere and growth for employees.
You will be part of a team that is the face of the City, reviewing complex discretionary projects, helping the community at the counter. Developing and nurturing strong relationships with a diverse group of customers.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package as well as the opportunity to be a part of an organization that prides itself on customer service.
After initial training, a hybrid schedule is possible with Director’s approval.
We are dedicated to continually improving the City, with an emphasis on working collaboratively to promote equity as well as equality to keep Vallejo moving forward.
The Planning and Development Services Department is organized across four divisions: Planning (Current Planning and Advanced Planning), Building, Administration, and Code Enforcement.
The Planning Division is responsible for implementing the General Plan, Specific Plans and Zoning Code of the City of Vallejo. They provide preliminary review, processing, plan checking, and permitting for new construction, additions, renovations, alterations and collaboratively work with applicants and the community, ensuring the best possible outcome for every project.
For more information please click City of Vallejo
THE CITY OF VALLEJO
The City of Vallejo is located in Solano County and has a population of approximately 121,000 residents. Vallejo is a rapidly changing, highly diverse community located midway between the cities of San Francisco and Sacramento. It is a friendly, active waterfront community that attracts innovative people and takes great pride in its 148-year history and maritime heritage.
For more information please click City of Vallejo.
Ideal Candidate: The successful Senior Planner candidate will have extensive experience working with the public, project management skills, including current development, long-range planning, special studies, zoning, and general plan updates. They will be a hands-on team player eager to assist applicants in meeting the requirements They will be an innovative and creative problem solver with excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to communicate concisely and effectively, including public speaking and presentation skills.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general direction from the Planning Manager.
Exercises functional and technical supervision over professional and technical staff.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
– Important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop General Plan elements and amendments; prepare long term planning recommendations, precise plans, or complex subdivisions.
- Develop and present recommendations on various development permits and applications; prepare appropriate reports.
- Confer with engineers, developers, architects, a variety of agencies and the general public in acquiring information and coordinating planning and zoning matters; provide information regarding City development requirements.
- Accept and analyze development applications; prepare appropriate noticing; attend public hearings and follow up on matters requiring a zoning administration decision.
- Interpret and apply environmental quality laws and regulations to ensure that development, City projects and municipal code amendments are in compliance.
- Conduct and supervise planning studies in the community to gather data for evaluating current and advanced planning projects.
- Review development proposals and work with developers to reach agreement on acceptable site plans; review various development applications for compliance with appropriate regulations and policies; prepare reports of recommendations.
- Review staff reports on development proposals prepared by other planning staff, as well as other department representatives; prepare comments as appropriate.
- Perform extensive research regarding implementation of policies established by the general plan, zoning ordinance, or other land use and development ordinances.
- Maintain a complex filing system of various documents and reports for reference.
- Provide staff support to a variety of boards and commissions; attend and participate in professional groups and committees.
- Provide information to the public regarding zoning, land use and the General Plan; participate in public meetings as necessary.
- Provide direct and indirect supervision and technical assistance to professional and technical planning staff.
- Directly oversee the City’s resource management program.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Minimum Qualifications/Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION GUIDELINES
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Three years of responsible professional urban planning experience.
A Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning, public or business administration or a related field.
- Principles and practices of urban planning and development.
- Methods and techniques of effective technical report preparation and presentation.
- Research methods and sources of information related to urban growth and development.
- Recent developments, current literature and sources of information related to municipal planning and administration.
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Analyze site design, terrain constraints, circulation, land use compatibility, utilities and other urban services.
- Analyze and develop policies related to land use and community development.
- Ensure project compliance with Federal, State and local rules, laws and regulations.
- Interpret and apply pertinent laws, rules and regulations.
- Prepare and analyze technical and administrative reports, statements and correspondence.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
The Recruitment & Selection Process
1. Applications are due by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, April 17, 2023. Applicants must submit a completed City of Vallejo online application, including all responses to the Supplemental Questionnaire (Resume/Cover Letter Optional), you are welcome to attach additional documents to this application (staff report examples, etc.), by the posted deadline in order to be considered.
Note: If you have problems creating a user account, obtaining your already created account information, or submitting your online application, please contact governmentjobs.com applicant support directly at 855-524-5627. City of Vallejo staff are unable to assist with these issues.
2. Applications will be screened for overall qualifications the week of April 17, 2023.
3. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will have their supplemental responses scored by subject matter experts the week of April 24, 2023. The most qualified applicants from the scoring of supplemental questions will be invited to participate in an Oral Panel Interview.
4. Oral Panel Interviews are tentatively scheduled to take place the week of May 01, 2023. Oral panel interviews are weighted at 100% of the candidates’ score. Candidates must achieve a minimum of passing score of 70%. Those achieving 70% or higher will be placed on the Register of Eligibles (eligible list) and may be considered to fill positions for up to one year.
The City reserves the right to limit the number of candidates to those determined to be the best qualified based upon all requested application materials, including training and experience, current resume, and responses to supplemental questions.
5. Candidates placed on the Register of Eligibles (eligible list) will be referred to the department for final interviews based on their performance in the exam. The number of candidates referred for a hiring interview is at the discretion of the hiring department.
The City of Vallejo is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA). Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application, assessment, or selection process may contact the Human Resources Department to request an accommodation. Please contact Martha Galo at (707) 648-4365 or send an email to: Martha.firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 17, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
PRIOR TO HIRE
The selected candidate will be required to: 1)Submit reference checks 2) Submit to and successfully pass a pre-employment background check, including fingerprint check. 3) Provide proof of legal right to work in the United States.
Disaster Service Workers – All City of Vallejo (“City”) employees are designated Disaster Service Workers (“DSW”) by state law (California Government Code Section 3100 – 3109). Employment with the City requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all DSW-related training as assigned and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
Veteran’s Preference – Veteran’s preference points will be applied in accordance with Civil Service Rule 24. A copy of the DD 214 form must be filed at time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) – The City of Vallejo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the City of Vallejo to provide equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, or denial of medical and family care leave, or any other non-job related factors.
Note: The provisions in this bulletin do not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.