Northern News — our comprehensive newsmagazine published 10 times a year — has an opening at Associate Editor. We hope to find a planner who can help us determine newsletter content and solicit articles relevant to the planning profession, current planning issues, or proposed development in northern California and elsewhere. The editor and associate editor coordinate in preparing all material for publication as WordPress posts and assembling those in an online magazine format on our Northern Section website.
The position carries no salary. Applicants should have good organizational and language skills and be willing and able to spend time on the newsletter 10 times per year. The associate editor is a member of the APA California Northern Section Board and attends Board meetings every other month.
Together, the editors —
- Determine the content of the newsmagazine.
- Solicit and lightly edit articles from local planners and others about urban planning in our region.
- Excerpt planning-related news articles and upload them to Planning news roundup.
- Write the headlines.
- Prepare What’s inside, which appears at the top of the newsmagazine and in the mass email sent to 4,400 planners each issue.
- Prepare the summaries of Northern Section awards given in May or June each year.
A working knowledge of WordPress and a photo-editing application will be useful.
Position is open until filled. Please send your letter of interest and a brief summary of relevant skills to James Castañeda, AICP, Section Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with a copy to email@example.com.