By Michael P. Cass, Northern Section Director, January 20, 2024
The APA California – Northern Section is excited to announce that we are the host Section for the 2025 APA California Chapter Conference, which will be held in Monterey (exact dates to be determined). The Northern Section Board is seeking volunteers, including Conference Host Committee Co-Chairs, Subcommittee Chairs, Subcommittee Members.
Each of the eight APA California Sections hosts the Chapter Conference every eight years. Join with us to create an inspiring, informative, and memorable 2025 conference opportunity for all participants. From leading a subcommittee to helping shape program content, we have a role for you!
Here is a summary of the many volunteer opportunities that are available, with some key responsibilities and activities described:
Conference Host Committee Co-Chairs
- Leads discussion and develops the Conference theme.
- Assists with the development of the Conference budget and overall management.
- Creates master scheduling and tracking of Conference Host Committee responsibilities.
- Provides assistance to Conference Host Committee subcommittees, as necessary.
- Prepares meeting agendas and minutes and forwards to the Vice President of Conferences and Conference Management Contractor.
- Provides coordination during the Conference.
- Provides coordination with APA California Board via Vice President of Conferences and Conference Management Contractor.
- Provides coordination with the Conference Host Section Board.
- Maintains contact list of all Conference Host Committee members.
- Assists with conference publicity by identifying local or statewide press outlets that would be interested in receiving a Press Kit and information about award winners, keynote speakers, or unique conference sessions; works with Chapter to confirm legitimacy of any request for a ‘Press Pass’.
- Develops “Call for Presentations.”
- Determines whether proposals for the Student Program should be part of the general solicitation or handled separately by the Student Subcommittee.
- Adheres to a schedule containing critical milestones to assure the Conference Educational Program is selected in time to advertise it when conference registration opens in the spring.
- Solicits session proposals on issues of local interest from Northern Section planners.
- Evaluates and scores submitted sessions; makes recommendations about inclusion in the Conference Program.
- Assures the proposed sessions represent a balanced program of value to all attendees.
- Assists with developing program/time slots for sessions.
- Compiles keynote speaker ideas.
- Coordinates with the Vice President of Conferences or designee to ensure mandatory Board sessions are included in the program.
- Works with Student Representative on the Chapter Board to outline the ‘Free Student Day’ program and social activities.
- Develops a series of educational sessions attractive to students.
- Provides support to the California Planning Foundation for Student Luncheon.
- Works with the universities and Programs Subcommittee to inform students of the conference opportunities and to encourage their attendance.
Special Events Subcommittee
- Plans Opening Reception (coordinates with Conference Management Contractor) within the budget established.
- Coordinates other special events to highlight the Northern Section.
Mobile Workshops Subcommittee
- Solicits mobile workshop proposals concurrent with the Call for Session Proposals.
- Uses a matrix to record mobile workshops and essential content and financial components.
- Works with the Conference Management Contractor to price and coordinate transportation for the mobile workshops.
- Performs a ‘dry run’ of the mobile workshop to assure the timing and routing is realistic.
- Coordinates with Conference Management Contractor to determine needs and assignments, including monitoring meal events and assisting with the sale of California Planning Foundation raffle tickets.
- Works with the Chapter’s Vice President for Diversity & Equity and the Membership Inclusion Directors on the Diversity Summit and assures sessions addressing diversity are included in the Conference Program.
- Organizes a Diversity Mixer.
- Works with the Vice President for Public Information to establish a work program and timeline for all aspects of conference publicity, including cost.
- Coordinates and prepares publicity and promotional material for the Conference, including email blasts to membership, articles and ads in the CalPlanner conference issue, and social media publicity.
- Assembles and prepares articles for the CalPlanner conference issue.
- Coordinates with Conference Management Contractor and conference facility to provide a “green conference” to the extent feasible.
How to Apply
Join us in creating an inspiring and informative conference opportunity for all participants! Let us know about your interest in volunteering by submitting your resume and letter of interest to Section Director Michael P. Cass and Section Director-Elect Libby Tyler, FAICP at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or if you want to learn more about volunteer opportunities as conference planning advances, send us an email with your contact information so that we can share more details with you as they become available.
Note, you must be an APA California Chapter member with current membership and reside or practice planning within the Northern Section (Alameda, Contra Costa, Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Monterey, Napa, San Benito, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, and Sonoma counties).
Don’t have the bandwidth to volunteer? We still want to hear from you. Please email us your inspiring ideas to help make the 2025 Conference the best conference yet!