By Michael P. Cass, Director, January 1, 2023
Happy New Year, Northern Section!
Each new year offers an opportunity for a fresh start and new beginnings. By the time you’ve read this article, you have inevitably made and broken your 2023 new year’s resolutions several times over. Well, don’t be too hard on yourself. Take a minute to reset by celebrating your experiences and accomplishments from 2022 and welcoming the new year ahead.
In celebration of the last year, I would like to extend a huge thank you to Immediate Past Director Florentina Craciun, AICP, who served as our Section Director in 2021 and 2022. She helped Northern Section traverse through the pandemic, transitioning our professional development events online and hosting limited in-person events towards the end of her term. In addition, Florentina brought much-needed energy, enthusiasm, and humor to our Section during a crucial time. Much appreciation for Florentina for her leadership during her tenure.
As we greet the new year, please join me in welcoming Director-Elect Elizabeth Tyler, FAICP, and Administrative Director Veronica Flores, who were recently elected and re-elected to their respective positions. We look forward to their engagement and leadership.
When setting your professional resolutions, I encourage you to engage more with the American Planning Association, California Chapter – Northern Section in 2023. Here are a few suggestions:
- Attend New Year | New Northern 2023 on Thursday, January 26, 2023, from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. aboard the historic USS Potomac (see News and Announcements in this issue)
- Volunteer for one of our vacant Board Positions (see News and Announcements in this issue)
- Attend a Northern Section networking or professional development event (for upcoming events, please click here)
- Commit to taking the AICP exam
- Participate in our Mentorship Program
We look forward to connecting with you and making 2023 a year of action and engagement throughout the Section! If you have any suggestions, please get in touch with me at email@example.com.
Here’s to building our Northern Section together!
Michael P. Cass, Director
APA California – Northern Section