Shute, Mihaly & Weinberger, LLP is looking for an experienced planner with relevant experience to join our dynamic practice.
About Shute, Mihaly & Weinberger, LLP
Shute, Mihaly & Weinberger LLP is a law firm specializing in government, land use, renewable energy, and environmental law. Since 1980, the firm has provided public agencies, non-profits, tribes, and community groups with the highest quality representation, offering an array of litigation, regulatory, counseling, and planning services. While SMW is a private law firm, it has a public interest mission: to serve non-profit and community-based organizations, public agencies, and tribal governments to advance progressive environmental, land use, and good governance values/outcomes. You can read more about the firm at www.smwlaw.com.
SMW’s planners prepare and review complex environmental and land use documents; manage technical experts; prepare comment letters for consideration by public officials; work directly with staff and volunteers for local community groups; interact with staff at regulatory agencies, and testify at public hearings.
Shute, Mihaly & Weinberger is committed to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace and in the work that we do. For us, diversity means the differences in people’s backgrounds and identities—including their race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, disability, and religion—that result in varied perspectives and knowledge. Inclusion means nurturing a sense of belonging and a culture of respect within our firm, the legal profession, and within our communities, especially by listening to and amplifying the voices of people who have been traditionally ignored or silenced, and supporting people in achieving their potential. Equity means the redistribution of opportunities, resources, and power to promote justice. We aim to bring these values to bear in all firm decisions, including hiring.
SMW is a great place to work. SMW’s planners work on a wide variety of exciting projects in a collaborative and supportive environment. Our two current planners have been with the firm for 20 and 33 years, respectively. One of our planners is retiring soon, so we are recruiting to fill one position. We are looking for candidates who are highly motivated and excited to learn and to take on increasing responsibility with our clients. The ideal candidate will have professional work experience in urban and/or environmental planning, and experience with CEQA, NEPA, and California’s Planning and Zoning Law. Direct experience working for municipal planning departments or in a community group or non-profit is a plus.
- Serving as project manager for complex and controversial projects
- Preparing CEQA and NEPA compliance documents for municipal clients
- Analyzing environmental documents for compliance with CEQA and NEPA
- Interpreting technical reports for the assessment of air quality, biological resources, cultural resources, climate change, geological hazards, hydrological issues, noise, and transportation
- Working with attorneys and clients to prepare comment letters and support testimony on proposed projects, environmental review documents, and technical reports
- Managing technical experts and consultants
- Keeping up to date on environmental and planning related issues
- Master’s degree in Urban Planning or a related field or a Bachelor’s degree with equivalent related work experience
- Five years urban planning and/or environmental planning experience
- Solid knowledge of and experience with the procedural requirements of CEQA, NEPA, the Planning and Zoning Law, and other state and federal regulations related to planning
- Solid understanding of zoning and other planning policies and regulations, and the typical local planning approval process
- Excellent and detail-oriented research, analytical, and proofreading skills
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- A self-starter who likes a fast-paced environment and has the ability to both work independently and be part of a collaborative team
- Effective and efficient problem-solving capabilities with the ability to work proactively to develop creative solutions to meet client needs
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to work under tight timelines
- A positive and collaborative attitude
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience, plus discretionary annual bonus
- Generous medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance coverage and vacation/sick/parental leave policies
- 401(k) plan with employer contribution and discretionary profit-share
- Commuter, cell-phone, and technology subsidies
Partially Remote Work
Ideally, candidates would be local to the Bay Area and able to work in our San Francisco office and attend in-person meetings. Because of COVID-19 this position may be a combination of remote and in-office work. We are willing to consider flexible or hybrid approaches.
To apply and be considered, please email a cover letter and resume to Janessa Cooks (JCooks@smwlaw.com) with “Planner Application” in the subject line. Please attach a single PDF file that includes both your cover letter and resume. In your cover letter, express why you are interested in SMW and are a great fit for this position. No phone calls please.
Thanks, and we look forward to reviewing your application.