We Want You! (To Join Our Board)
Do you want to be more involved with APA? Do you want to serve your fellow Northern Section members? If you are you ready to build your professional skills, consider joining your Northern Section board in one of our vacant positions!
Current Board Vacancies
The term of Treasurer, an elected APA California – Northern Section Board position, will end on December 31, 2019. A Nominations Committee, overseen by Section Director Elect Jonathan Schuppert, AICP, is soliciting and will review applications. The Treasurer will serve a two-year term commencing January 1, 2020. As described in the Section Bylaws, Section 4.6.5, the responsibilities of the position include:
- The Treasurer shall have a working knowledge of profit and loss statements, balance sheets, reconciliation procedures, and Quicken or other accounting computer software programs as specified by the Chapter. The duties of the Treasurer shall be to:
- Prepare an annual budget for submittal to the Section Director;
- Receive and be held accountable for all Section accounts and funds and to make proper authorized disbursement of said funds, including those received through an electronic transfer website;
- Collect or to designate a person responsible to collect money at events that require a fee;
- Submit financial reports to the Section Board; and
- Submit quarterly financial reports, including an end of the year financial report to the Chapter.
Nomination petitions were due by October 16, 2019 and the Nominations Committee is reviewing received petitions.
Electronic ballots will be sent to Section members on November 4, 2019, and they will be due November 18, 2019. The Nomination Committee will publish qualifying candidate statements in the November edition of Northern News and will include on the election ballot all candidates who meet the minimum qualifications as described in the Section Bylaws (Section 4.2.2) which can be found here. If you have any questions, please contact Director Elect Jonathan Schuppert, AICP, at email@example.com.
Awards Program Co-Director
The duties of the Awards ProgramDirector(s) shall be to:
- Publicize the Section’s annual 11wards program and solicit nominees;
- Arrange judging for the nominees and select winners in each category; and
- Organize an annual Awards Banquet for the purpose of honoring award winners.
The general qualifications, you must be an APA member with current/paid-up membership, reside and practice planning within the Northern Section (nine Bay Area counties, including Santa Cruz, Mendocino, Humboldt, and Del Norte counties). If you wish to be considered, we’ll be interested to get a resume and letter of interest telling us why you’d like to be considered for the appointment, any relevant experiences, and what you’ll bring to the program. Please submit those to Section Director Elect Jonathan Schuppert, AICP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Northern News is our comprehensive news magazine, published 10 times a year. The magazine seeks an Associate Editor to help determine newsletter content and solicit articles relevant to the planning profession, current issues, or proposed development in northern California and elsewhere. The editor and associate editor coordinate in preparing all material for publication as WordPress posts and assembling those in magazine format on our Northern Section website.
The position carries no salary. Applicants should have good organizational and language skills and be willing and able to spend time on the newsletter 10 times per year. The associate editor is a member of the APA California Northern Section Board and attends Board meetings every other month.
Together, the editors —
- Determine the content of the newsmagazine.
- Solicit and lightly edit articles from local planners and others about urban planning in our region.
- Excerpt planning-related news articles and upload them to Planning news roundup.
- Write the headlines.
- Prepare What’s inside, which appears at the top of the newsmagazine and in the mass email sent to 4,400 planners each issue.
- Prepare the summaries of Northern Section awards given in May or June each year.
- A working knowledge of WordPress and a photo-editing application will be useful.
The position is open until filled. Please send your letter of interest and a brief summary of relevant skills to James Castañeda, AICP, Section Director, at email@example.com, with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.