We Want You! (To Join Our Board)
Do you want to be more involved with APA? Do you want to serve your fellow Northern Section members? If you are you ready to build your professional skills, consider joining your Northern Section board in one of our vacant positions!
Benefits of joining the Board:
- Meaningfully give back to the planning profession;
- Have an impact on the strategic direction of the Section;
- Collaborate with your peers;
- Mentor future generations of planners or become a mentee of experienced Board Members;
- Build up and celebrate leaders in the industry;
- Build your skill set and enrich your resume;
- Grow your network of local planning professionals; and
- Have fun and make new friends!
We are looking to fill the following vacancies:
- Diversity Co-Director
- Marketing and Sponsorship Manager
- Peninsula Regional Activity Coordinator
Current Board Vacancies
The Treasurer shall have a working knowledge of accounting procedures, including posting debits and credits into accounting software, balancing accounts and reconciling statements, and other financial practices as specified by Chapter Financial Policies. The duties of the Treasurer shall be to:
- Serve on the Executive Board, guiding the strategic vision of the Board;
- Prepare an annual Section budget for submittal to the Section Director;
- Receive and be held accountable for all Section accounts and funds and to make proper authorized disbursement of said funds, including those received through an electronic transfer website;
- Collect or to designate a person responsible to collect money at events that requires a fee;
- Work with any bookkeeper or other finance professional hired to assist with prescribed financial duties, such as taxes and annual reporting requirements;
- Submit financial reports to the Section Board; and
- Submit quarterly financial reports, including an end-of-year financial report, to the Chapter.
The new Treasurer will complete the remainder of the existing term, concluding on December 31, 2021, as the current Treasurer Michael P. Cass was elected as Director-Elect starting on January 1, 2021. If you wish to be considered, please send a resume and letter of interest telling us why you’d like to be considered, any relevant experiences, and what you’ll bring to the position. Please email the requested documents to Section Director-Elect Michael P. Cass at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application open until filled.
The duties of the Diversity Co-Director shall be to:
- Increase diversity in the Section membership as well as on the Section Board;
- Educate members to better serve diverse communities;
- Work with the Section Board in coordinating activities (e.g. Awards Gala, professional development, recruitment, planning school curriculum) to meet diversity goals; and
- Coordinate with the APA California Membership Inclusion Director.
Marketing and Sponsorship Manager
The duties of the Marketing and Sponsorship Manager shall be to:
- Work with the Communications Director with input from the Executive Board to implement a plan to raise funding and increase Section awareness, through but not limited to sponsorships, fundraising, and advertisements;
- Manage a list of existing and prospect sponsors and track their donation status;
- Develop, with input from other officers, and maintain a sponsorship package, including advertising and collateral materials, to be used in soliciting sponsorships, fundraising, and advertisements;
- Proactively solicit paid advertisements and fundraising from businesses and individuals who provide planning-related services, to fund all Section programs and activities, such as Section events and the newsletter;
- Serve as primary point-of-contact on communications and support between the Section Board and sponsors; and
- Coordinate with the Treasurer for routine billing and collections for sponsorships and advertisements.
Peninsula Regional Activity Coordinator
The RACs shall be represented on the Section Board by geographic designation. The seven geographic areas divided by counties are: East Bay (Alameda, Contra Costa), Monterey Bay (Monterey, San Benito, Santa Cruz), North Bay (Marin, Napa, Solano, Sonoma), Peninsula (San Mateo), Redwood Coast (Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake, Mendocino), San Francisco (San Francisco), and South Bay (Santa Clara). The duties of the RACs shall be to:
- Provide input to the Board related to the special needs of members in specified regions in the Section or in designated Sub-Sections;
- Organize periodic meetings and workshop for members in their regions, contribute relevant articles to the newsletter and assist the Professional Development Director in carrying out the Section’s professional development programs; and
- Provide occasional social functions in order to foster a sense of community within and among Section members.
How to apply
For appointed positions, you must be an APA member with current/paid-up membership, and reside or practice planning within the Northern Section (Alameda, Contra Costa, Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Monterey, Napa, San Benito, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, and Sonoma counties). If you wish to be considered, please submit your resume and letter of interest outlining why you’d like to be considered, any relevant experiences, and what you’ll bring to the position. Please email the requested documents to Section Director-Elect Michael P. Cass at email@example.com.